- Place items you will need most often closest to the door and leave a walkway to the rear of your storage unit.
- Never pack boxes too heavy.
- Use a pallet or strips of wood underneath boxes to allow for circulation.
- Label all boxes for easy identification and make a reference list.
- Always place heavier boxes on the bottom to reduce chance of damage.
- Disassemble furniture when possible to allow maximum use of space. Keep upholstery off the floor and do not cover with plastic.
- Never store food or perishables.
- Metal items such as tools or bicycles should be stored dry with a touch of oil on them to help hinder rust.
- Under no circumstances should you store any flammable or combustible items.
- Place cardboard or other material under machinery and vehicles to prevent damage (oil stains) to the floor.
- Appliances should be stored dry with doors left slightly ajar.
- Mirrors, window or glass should be stored on edge and never laid flat.
- Inventory can be stored more efficiently by using free standing shelving.